Michael McInnisDesigner · Editor · Writer · Composer · Woodworker
Raconteur · Part-Time Magellan · Veteran
Let’s Talk about books
I love books. The smell of them, the feel of them, the way my eyes taste them. You can’t judge the quality of writing in a book by its cover, but you can judge a cover by its quality.
Let’s talk about the copyediting and design of your book.
I work closely with authors choosing and designing covers, offering 3 options in the agreed upon formatted size. My layouts are clean and the typography is precise. Heading, chapter, and title typography is chosen to best reflect your writing and style of your book. After 2 rounds of PDF proofs your book will be print ready. It is up to you to submit your book to CreateSpace, Lightning Source, or a printer of your choice.
My idea of copyediting is to improve the quality of your prose by removing unnecessary repetition, restructure clunky sentences so that they flow more smoothly together. I know the difference between active and passive prose and can help you turn dull prose into something more engaging. I edit for spelling, consistency and conformity within the Chicago Manual of Style, (the accepted standard for the book-publishing industry).
- Up to 150 pages* layout + design includes full color cover and 2 rounds of PDF proofs. Your book will be print ready for CreateSpace and Lightning Source.
- Does not include ISBN, Copyright registration, or Kindle version.
- * Formatted + designed pages ready for printing, $2.50 each additional page.
- Up to 150 pages* full book design and layout plus copyediting services.
- Includes a Kindle-ready version.
- Does not include ISBN, Copyright registration, or any other eBook edition.
- * Formatted + designed pages ready for printing, $3.75 each additional page.
- No manuscript page limit. Files must be submitted in Word doc, or RTF format. Separate each poem, chapter, or section with a page break. Includes 1 proof for approval. Does not include design or reformatting.
Let’s Talk About You
who I am
After learning cabinetmaking at a vocational high school, I joined the Navy and spent six years chasing Soviet submarines and white whales across the same seas as Melville, visiting the same islands as Magellan, and swabbing the decks and dark alleys of Hong Kong, Subic City, and Nagasaki. · When I got out of the service I founded The Primal Plunge, Boston’s original bookstore dedicated to ‘zines and underground culture. Under the Primal Publishing imprint I published, designed and edited arts journals, literary magazines and books featuring Allen Ginsburg, Charles Bukowski and Eileen Myles among many lesser known authors. · In 2016, I co-founded Nixes Mate, a small press dedicated to “writing that a uses all 26 letters of the alphabet and then some”. In addition to the quarterly online Review, Nixes Mate has published 28 books to date including books by poet laureates and award winning authors. · Now let’s talk about …
words + music
The poetry of sound, of harmony, of a chord progression that sounds just right, but loiters at the edge of dissonance. The poetry of the perfect sentence, of all 26 letters, of 50 point words and artisnal lines, hand-crafted, not in academic halls, but in rundown squares before the wrecking ball of gentrification, before the remodel, the repaired plaster where each piece of splintery lath becomes a new fiction.
To craft a cutting board out of pieces of walnut paneling salvaged from a Back Bay brownstone and reclaimed maple flooring from an upstate New York train station; or to make a side table out of a length of engineered and scavenged urban lumber; or to create a lamp out of redwood posts from a dismantled pool house is a mindfulness that muffles the visual and aural noise of the world around us.